Monday, December 7, 2009

Flying with an infant on Singapore Airlines


When booking our airfare, I was fortunate enough to find that the lowest airfare from San Francisco to Hong Kong on my desired travel dates was on the highly-praised Singapore Airlines. I had heard stories about the high level of service on Singapore Airlines, the above-average food (even in economy class!), and the baby-friendliness of the flight attendants. I had flown Singapore Airlines on this particular route many years ago when I was a young child, but I was too young to really appreciate how nice Singapore Airlines was in comparison to other airlines. (Then again, when I was young and traveling, most airlines - even the US-based airlines, had great service since this was before the whole decline of air travel.)

The flight was also perfect because it was a redeye flight. My hope was that because of his own sleep schedule, he would sleep through most of the plane ride. For the most part, this held true, and my husband and I were able to enjoy some of the on-board entertainment and were able to enjoy some of our meals in peace. We were very lucky parents, indeed.

About a half hour before we were scheduled to board, Singapore Airlines (hereafter SA) staff members circled the gate to make sure everyone was appropriately accommodated. They noticed that we had a child and a stroller. They asked if we were ready to relinquish the stroller, which we were, and they tagged and bagged it, and took it to be gate-checked themselves. (For those interested, they do have the large plastic bags for strollers at the gate - you just have to ask for one. They don't have them at the primary check-in area before the security area.) So we didn't have to deal with a child, carry-on luggage, and with folding up a stroller at the end of the jetway ourselves. This made our whole boarding experience much nicer. They also informed us that there was priority boarding for families with young children and directed us to sit in the section near the boarding doors so we could be whisked away into the plane promptly. Having priority boarding again was a nice change from Southwest Airlines.

After we had boarded the plane and had settled in, we were handed the typical "spoils" - a menu, headphones, an amenities kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, socks, etc. Our son was given a toy - a stuffed dude in a plastic bag. Our son enjoyed nomming on the plastic bag. We were then offered a pre-flight beverage - we were given the choice of water, orange juice, white wine, or beer. I'm sure we could have requested another beverage, but we chose the beer - a fitting nightcap at 1am, don't you think?

Since we had not purchased a separate seat for our son, we were given a special seatbelt for him that would attach to my own seatbelt. It was a bit useless, in my opinion, since it was a bit loose and it could also be difficult to confine a squirmy kid with this strap of fabric. However, it works fine if you have a sleeping child in your arms! I was able to nurse my son while he was strapped in with the seatbelt. Once we were in the air, however, and the seatbelt sign was on, we were able to put him in the bassinet. For a review of the bassinet on Singapore Airlines, see my post here.



When you make your air reservations, you can also request baby food. During dinner, a flight attendant brought us a small tray with three jars of baby food and a plastic spoon to show us what the tray was. Since our son was sleeping at the time, she told us to just call a flight attendant at any time to bring us the tray of baby food. The brand of baby food was Heinz, and it was made in Australia. (Since we were traveling to Hong Kong, I had some concerns that the baby food would be made in China or something. This turned out not to be the case.)

At any time, you can also ask the flight attendant to heat up a bottle for your child. However, you might want to specify how you want the bottle warmed and how warm you would like it - after all, not all flight attendants have children or now how to warm up a bottle! They initially asked if we wanted it microwaved, and we politely declined and asked for it to be warmed in hot water. However, they made the bottle of milk way too hot. So next time, I'll have to be specific and ask for the bottle to be warmed in hot water and only to a temperature slightly above room temperature or whatever.

When (not if! It's a 15 hour flight, after all.) you need to change your child's diaper, there is a changing table in the bathroom. But it's an airplane bathroom, therefore it's very cramped. We ended up changing our child in the bassinet (and the couple next to us did the same). There was a lot more space, and it was much more convenient for us.



The flight attendants were incredibly gracious and helpful. Their friendliness made traveling with a baby so much easier. If you're traveling alone with your child, they'll go out of their way to help you (though, do understand that they have many other passengers to take care of, so keep your requests for help reasonable). They're willing to hold your child if you have to go to the bathroom, etc.

Overall, I would highly recommend Singapore Airlines, whether or not you're traveling with a child. The food was indeed good for airplane food (they offered a Western option and an Asian option for each meal. I always chose the Asian option, which was consistently nice. They also offer snacks throughout the plane trip, such as a baked cha siu bao or chips or crackers.), the flight attendants were nice (and man, the uniforms for the female flight attendants were really nice - my son flirted with many of them), and the overall level of service was so much better, especially in comparison to domestic flights on US-based airlines.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for this detailed summary. We are preparing to make the LAX to NRT flight and I'm definitely considering SA as we've had mixed results on US carriers.

    One question, we're you sitting in coach or business class? I'm assuming coach, given bulkhead seats, but just curious. Thank you again for the flight information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! Sorry Lee - I'm about 5 months late in a reply. This is probably much too late for you, but we traveled in coach. (Business would have been fantastic, but alas, traveling is expensive enough for us, with or without child.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the summary. Unfortunately I think our baby will be too big to comfortably fit in the bassinet. We ended up purchasing her a seat and plan on bringing her car seat with us. We will be flying United. I can not wait to hear about your next travel experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, Emily! I don't know which car seat you have - we have a Britax Marathon, and we've gotten it to fit on United on a Boeing 747, I believe. We were sitting in the middle of the plane (where there are 5 seats next to each other) and there was a row in front of us. The bad thing is that because the Britax Marathon is so large, our son's feet almost touched the seat in front of us. And he was maybe 14 or 15 months at the time, and he's very very small for his age. I was in constant fear throughout the flight that he'd start kicking the seat in front of him. (Turns out, however, that he refused to sit in his car seat anyway. Whee!) Anyway, if you can, try to reserve a bulkhead seat that has no seats in front of you. Not only will your daughter appreciate the extra leg room, but there will be more room for you to stand up in the aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Lucky" you the baby food was made in a white country like Australia and not by some Asian Chinese. Of course youve completely missed that u were travelling in an Asian airline, using no doubt many Chinese components in the plane and entrusted your life to most likely an Asian pilot.
    But heaven forbid your baby eats Chinese made food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @G. I live in an Asian country and avoid all "made in China" foods and processed foods for my baby. China lacks the same quality control of other countries and have a history of food contamination. Its important what goes into your baby's mouth, as you would know if you had children. Don't be so defensive, its not a personal attack against the Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @G I'm Chinese and from Singapore. I must admit that I too, avoid "made in china" food for my baby (including fresh produce in the supermarket). However, I must point out that not all "Asian" or "Asian Chinese" stuff are bad. For your info, Singapore Airlines ranks better than the majority of Western airlines in terms of service and safety (not the make of the plane, but generally speaking eg. accidents). Just wanted to point that out, and no this is not being defensive. I merely feel I should set the facts right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @G, check it out. I'm agree with both of the amonymous, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Karen. I have a hard time to change my infant's diaper without changing diaper station. I'm going to have a trip with my baby few months later with Singapore A.
    Same am I. Singapore airline is always my first choice, and I traveled with this airline since I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen! Thanks for your input, really helpful... Got some questions, if you don't mind answering (hoping that you would be able to answer in time) ^_^ I'm traveling with my son very soon on Singapore airlines and he'll be around 9 months by then... I haven't ever traveled with an infant before so I don't know how the food would be... He has started solids but I'm struggling to know which meal to choose for him as he started eating soft lumps... Do you think it's best to choose baby food (though it might not satisfy his hunger), or the post-weaning meal though I'll still keep breastfeeding him?? Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a relief! I will have to travel with my baby to China too, but was wondering if Infant Formula are allowed?

    ReplyDelete