Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Air travel with breast milk... but sans kids

I have an upcoming trip planned alone.  Without the kids.  So on one hand, that means I'll probably be able to sleep through the night for the first time in months.  But on the other hand, I have anxiety not only over leaving my kids for a few days, but about the whole pumping on the airplane thing and carrying breast milk with me through security.  According to the "new" TSA regulations, nursing mothers can carry breast milk with them through the security checkpoint in quantities greater than 3.4 oz, provided that it is declared prior to screening.  Breast milk is supposed to be treated like liquid medications.  However, I'll be gone for 3 days, and I'd really hate to pump and dump, and I'd also hate to pay the $25 fee to check in baggage, just for the sake of saving the milk.  So I'm wondering, does TSA have any restrictions on how many oz of milk can be brought through the security checkpoint?  If I were, say, to attempt to carry 15 bags of milk with me, would they turn me away?  Make me throw out the milk?  Call me a security threat?  Anybody have any firsthand experience with us?  Perhaps I'll do the responsible thing and email TSA to see what they have to say.  Or perhaps I'll just try to bring the 15 bags of milk with me anyway, and if they tell me that I have to throw it away, then I'll live with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment