Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cell phone SIM Cards - Hong Kong

While in Hong Kong, I knew that my husband and I would be split up for at least part of the time, since I was there for a conference. Cell phones were very helpful to us - not only when we were apart, but also so we could contact our local friends, etc. We consulted our friends in Hong Kong and were told not to buy SIM cards in the States (for example, through online retailers that specialized in international SIM cards) but rather to wait until we got to Hong Kong. So, we brought our unlocked phones that take SIM cards (we have T-Mobile here in the States) to Hong Kong. The SIM cards we found were incredibly cheap in Hong Kong, especially since we weren't planning on making many calls anyway, and all of our cars originated in Hong Kong and were to phones in Hong Kong. We went to 7-11 (and in fact, I think most if not all convenience stores carry them) and bought a SIM card for around 68 HKD (approximately US$10)! I don't remember how many minutes were included (maybe 50???), but there were plenty for our modest cell phone usage during our stay in Hong Kong, even though we were charged for both in-coming and out-going calls. With this basic phone card, we could technically call international numbers - but the per minute rate was pretty expensive. If you're planning on making calls mainly to international numbers from Hong Kong, you can purchase a basic IDD card. I think the price for the IDD phone card was 98HKD.

The lesson here? If you're looking to get a SIM card for your phone, do so in Hong Kong. They're readily available and very inexpensive. Just go to a 7-11 or some convenience store.

If I can find our phone card and the information I came with, I'll be sure to upload some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment