Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Stroller Use in Rome?

Like I said in an earlier post, I didn't get to do much sight-seeing in Rome since I was working the whole time. So I didn't get to walk around with my son very much. Nonetheless, we did bring his stroller, and we actually used it! Rome is much less crowded than Hong Kong, so it was markedly easier to maneuver a stroller around the streets than in Hong Kong. (Please note, however, that we stayed mainly in the Piazza Navona area, which is dominated by pedestrian zones.) There were paved sidewalks in addition to cobblestone streets, so if you bring a stroller, make sure it has somewhat sturdy wheels.

Things you should note, however, are that most of the restaurants and stores are very cramped. So you'll find that it will be difficult to maneuver a stroller in the tiny restaurants and stores. Also, if you plan to take public transportation, a stroller might be difficult. If you're taking the subway, elevators down to the subway platforms are either non-existent or very hard to find. So you'll have to carry the stroller down the steps. Further, the subways and in particular the buses can get very crowded, so you might prefer to have your child close to you in some sort of carrier rather than in a stroller. Best bet? Take both - a carrier and a stroller. Even if you don't end up using the stroller in Rome, it will likely be helpful in the airports. However, make sure you check your airlines for the baggage limits and their policies on strollers. More on this later. (Grr - Air France made me pay for an extra bag because they wouldn't allow me to gate-check my stroller in Rome.)

1 comment:

  1. it has been months for me. Well this article that ive been waited for therefore long.
    visit website

    ReplyDelete